Active B Complex
Save 15% forever Order Direct!
Sign up on next page to complete order
Active B Complex provides the most biologically active forms and clinically relevant doses of a unique B vitamin combination. Quatrefolic folate provides (6S)-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate acid (MTHF), the active form of folate at the cellular level, the form found in circulation, and the only form able to cross the blood brain barrier. This form of folate bypasses enzymatic conversion by methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), an enzyme with common genetic polymorphisms known to impair activity. Quatrefolic acid administration has been associated with higher peak (6S)-5-MTHF levels than both folic acid and calcium 5-MTHF, with higher plasma folate levels even in those with high functioning MTHFR polymorphisms.1, 2
In addition to superior folate bioavailability, Active B Complex contains superior forms of each B vitamin. Benfotiamine is a lipid soluble form of vitamin B1 with higher bioavailability than thiamine, used in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy because it blocks several hyperglycemic pathways and prevents endothelial dysfunction.3, 4, 5 Riboflavin 5’-phospate and pyridoxal 5’-phosphate (PLP) are biologically active forms of B2 and B6 – PLP being the most important member of the B6 group, and is the active coenzyme for more than 100 enzymes, bypassing hepatic conversion to an active form.6
- Provides the natural and most bioactive form of folate, Quatrefolic folate (6S)-5-MTHF, with no synthetic or racemic components
- Quatrefolic folate supplementation has greater increase in plasma folate compared to folic acid and calcium 5-MTHFR
- Contains most bioactive and bioavailable forms of each B vitamin, including methylcobalamin (B12), riboflavin 5’-phosphate (B2), and pyridoxal 5’-phosphate (B6)
- Broad spectrum B complex, with inositol, biotin, and choline
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Miraglia N, Agostinetto M, Bianchi D, Valoti E. Enhanced oral bioavailability of a novel folate salt: comparison with folic acid and a calcium folate salt in a pharmacokinetic study in rats. Minerva Ginecol. 2016 Apr;68(2):99-105.
- Prinz-Langenohl R, Brämswig S, Tobolski O, et al. [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolate increases plasma folate more effectively than folic acid in women with the homozygous or wild-type 677C-->T polymorphism of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Dec;158(8):2014-21.
- Schreeb KH, Freudenthaler S, Vormfelde SV, Gundert-Remy U, Gleiter CH: Comparative bioavailability of two vitamin B1 preparations: benfotiamine and thiamine mononitrate (Letter). Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 52:319–320, 1997.
- Hammes HP, Du X, Edelstein D, Taguchi T, et al. Benfotiamine blocks three major pathways of hyperglycemic damage and prevents experimental diabetic retinopathy. Nat Med. 9:294–299, 2003.
- Stirban A, Negrean M, Stratmann B, et al. Benfotiamine prevents macro- and microvascular endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress following a meal rich in advanced glycation end products in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006 Sep;29(9):2064-71.
- Powers HJ. Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) and health. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Jun;77(6):1352-60.
- Head KA. Peripheral neuropathy: pathogenic mechanisms and alternative therapies. Altern Med Rev. 2006 Dec;11(4):294-329.
- McColl KE. Effect of proton pump inhibitors on vitamins and iron. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009 Mar;104 Suppl 2:S5-9.
- Aslan K, Bozdemir H, Unsal C, Güvenc B. The effect of antiepileptic drugs on vitamin B12 metabolism. Int J Lab Hematol. 2008 Feb;30(1):26-35.
- Markkanen T, Salmi HA, Sotaniemi E. Effect of neomycin treatment on the vitamin B12 content of human serum and urine. Z Vitam Horm Fermentforsch. 1965;14(1):66-71.
- Karadag AS, Tutal E, Ertugrul DT, Akin KO. Effect of isotretinoin treatment on plasma holotranscobalamin, vitamin B12, folic acid, and homocysteine levels: non-controlled study. Int J Dermatol. 2011 Dec;50(12):1564-9.
- Xu L, Huang Z, He X, et al. Adverse effect of metformin therapy on serum vitamin B12 and folate: Short-term treatment causes disadvantages? Med Hypotheses. 2013 Aug;81(2):149-51.