Basic Minerals, from Douglas Laboratories, is a comprehensive mineral/trace element formula. Basic Minerals contains patented mineral amino acid chelates from Albion Laboratories and other welltolerated and highly absorbable mineral forms. Basic Minerals is iron-free, making it an appropriate choice for those concerned about getting too much iron but who want to supplement with a full-spectrum of other minerals and trace elements. FUNCTIONS Minerals play a variety of essential roles throughout the body. Some of the primary roles of each mineral include:
• Calcium is a principal mineral constituent of bones and is thus essential for strong bones.
• Magnesium is involved in energy metabolism, and is notably important in the heart, skeletal muscles, and nervous system.
• Iodine is necessary for the synthesis of thyroxin, the thyroid hormone that regulates the body’s metabolic rate.
• Zinc is important for growth, immune system function, protein synthesis, antioxidant mechanisms, and wound healing.
• Selenium is an essential cofactor of glutathione peroxidase, a potent antioxidant.
• Copper regulates iron metabolism and activates superoxide dismutase, a powerful endogenous antioxidant.
• Manganese is essential for antioxidant systems in the body, bone growth, fat metabolism, and protein, nucleic acid, and cartilage synthesis.
• Chromium is required for normal blood sugar and lipid metabolism; it is an integral component of glucose tolerance factor (GTF).
• Molybdenum is involved in copper and iron transport, nucleic acid synthesis, and sulfur metabolism.
• Potassium is involved in normal muscle tone, nerve function, and many enzymes.
• Vanadium is active in lipid and glucose metabolism.
• Boron is involved in steroid hormone metabolism, cell membrane stability, and bone health.
INDICATIONS Basic Minerals may be used by individuals who want to supplement with a complete array of minerals and trace elements. Individuals who already take a Douglas Laboratories multiple vitamin-mineral-trace element supplement do not generally need additional minerals